A delicious, comforting treat. Happy Baking!
8oz/225g demerara sugar
8oz/225g plain flour
1 teaspoon of baking powder
3 large eggs
3 ½ floz/150ml butterscotch sauce (see below)
1 medium sized cooking apple-grated
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4
- Grease and line an 8 inch deep cake tin.
- In a large mixing bowl cream the butter with the demerara sugar until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add in the eggs.
- Sift the plain flour with the baking powder and slowly incorporate it into the butter and egg mixture.
- Gently mix in the cooled butterscotch sauce and the grated apple.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Transfer the mixture into the previously prepared cake tin and bake for 45-55 minutes until the cake is cooked or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the tin.
Serve either hot or cold with additional butterscotch sauce and ice cream
To Make the Butterscotch sauce:
- In a large saucepan, melt 75g butter, 75g brown sugar and 3 dessertspoons of golden syrup.
- Bring this mixture to the boil and add 300ml cream.
- Continue to stir and boil for 2-3 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Use as required.
- Store for 4-6 weeks.